Friday 9 September 2016

The Artisanal Glories of Costco

I have just returned from a trip to CostCo.  What a cornucopia of lovingly hand-made items it is.

First, I picked up this package of beautifully handspun and handwoven teatowels:


They are amongst the most impressively absorbent kitchen towels I have ever owned, equivalent in value to the beautifully fine linen kitchen towels which travelled the Silk Road from the Mayans to the Hittite civilisation.   This proves that handspun and handwoven kitchen towels can be produced by skilled artisans and sold for pennies as a mass product.

Excited by this find, I continued to the aisle for ceramic cups and related items.  There I found this set of beautifully hand-thrown ceramic bowls, the fingermarks of the Master Potter clearly visible on the hand-applied glaze:


Overwhelmed by the quality of the hand-made glories of the CostCo, I returned and made a snack, and again was impressed by the quality.

This nourishing meal could only have come from the skilled hands of a master chef.  I could taste the love, passion and skill with every slurp.

5 comments: